Sunday, February 3, 2013

Isla del Encanto: WARNING!!

                  
They’re called “Panaderias”, the equivalent of mom and pops small town bakery/quickie grocery store. Panaderias are found in every pueblo on the island.

Those of you over a certain age will know what I am talking about, maybe; your neighborhood still has one. 
These Panaderias hit my hot spot for nostalgia. Suddenly, I am a little girl again looking at the coin-op pony in the corner.

North Americans are frequently a tad out of their comfort zone upon first entering. I’ve seen it over the years here, hell, I’ve been it. With luck, someone in the store will speak English, or want to practice their English.
The sometimes locals' surprised looks  tell me they haven’t seen a foreigner in a while.
 In my, I don’t know Jack, stage of Spanish, “Hola,” a smile and hand wave got me through purchases. People can be so amazingly friendly.

                                   CAUTION 
Stay away from the warm, homemade bread. Stay Away from the home made donuts. The hot pastrami made in front of you should NEVER pass your lips.
Each panaderia has its own best donut or pastry. Fresh bread will not allow you to walk out. Smells so good, you must have some. I’ve eaten sandwiches, when I wasn’t hungry, but they were so good. I was powerless. My mouth is watering while I write this.
If you’re in Puerto Rico save your money, eat where the locals eat, but be very careful there is a chronic disease called Ican’tpassapanaderia. It will enchant your taste buds, and leave you helpless.
I am officially under its spell and my bottom line is showing it. 
This is the real Puerto Rico. 


No comments:

Post a Comment