Thursday, January 31, 2013

Shipping Car to Puerto Rico


This morning I woke up with a knot in my stomach, intuition telling me something is very wrong.
Our repaired SUV is still in Mobile, Alabama. A contract signed and deposit taken to transport the vehicle to the Port of San Juan. This seemed fine. We’re eager to get our stuff in one place and be settled.
When I signed the contract on Monday, the agent told me that he had a driver in Mobile ready to take it. He needed a deposit, which I gave him.
In the next email the agent said that the hauler would be in Mobile to pick it up on Friday. The driver worked COD, so I needed to pay his fee in cash. He sent me the bank routing number and account number to deposit the fee for transport to Jacksonville before they would pick up the vehicle.
COD means cash on delivery to me, not cash on pick up. My deposit should have been a sign of good will and the lubricant to get things moving. I felt ill at ease being asked for additional payment up front and in cash only.
In an email I questioned when my vehicle would arrive in San Juan. Without an answer to that question, the agent informed me to deposit the balance into another checking account.
Admittedly I am not a very sophisticated woman, but this doesn’t seem right to me. Or am I just being paranoid?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment