Monday, January 28, 2013

Retirement Reality


Retired, it’s been almost a month. The only thing slowed down is my rate of accomplishment. No phone, our SUV is still in Mobile, Alabama. The neuter program I want to put together for community strays is on a back burner until I get my act together.
We ordered phone service from Claro. Ten days later I found out they don’t have internet service where I live. What? No internet, well, I cancelled the phone thinking I’d get it somewhere else. For my part of the island there is no someplace else. When we first bought here in 2006 Verizon internet and phone worked fine. In fact that’s why we had Verizon, but then something happened and Verizon internet adaptor quit working here and then we had trouble with the phone. I think Claro bought out Verizon in Puerto Rico.
We need a phone, but not as much as I need reliable internet. Web surfing I came across Ground Control, which promises blazing speed and no outages. I got so excited my toes curled, and then I saw the price. Oh, baby, if I could afford it, the faster better internet would be mine.
The current budget will allow a house phone with unlimited calling to the states. We’ll go back to Claro on Monday for that. The broadband stick I have works best from midnight to six in the morning. I guess I’ll develop some new habits, like staying up all night.
It’s almost ten, still no internet access. I was having the same problem with Verizon in New Orleans. As much as I had no access there, I thought they were over selling their service. I don’t understand it, but it sure is frustrating.
On the plus side, I’m doing a lot of reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment