Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Adventures in Paradise


A hen cackled, “I laid an egg. I laid an egg.” Funny, at the same time a rooster crowed. I wonder if the cock a doodle was, "I laid a hen. I laid a hen." The most minuscule brown birds swarmed the Royal Palm Tree near our front door. Once their nest was in that tree, perhaps they’ll build again; I hope. The sun stroked the tops of trees promising more to come.
About 8 am we were sitting in the living room having a cup of coffee, enjoying a slow start to the day. After being out all night the dogs jumped up from a dead sleep. When dogs bark low in a certain tone and growl, it’s human and close; if the growl turns into a growly whine, we like the person, so we knew it was our friend and neighbor, Geri coming up the driveway.
“Good morning,” he said in English with a big smile on his face. “Buenas dias,” we replied.  Geri held up a big bag of yams, smiled, as he told the story of how he came upon this treasure while cleaning his land. The words in Spanish flew past the little window to my brain before I could catch a one, but Geri’s expressive body language gave us the whole picture.
When I asked him how to cook this, he laughed. The idea of a woman who isn’t a good cook is incomprehensible to him. With great pride Geri told us that he was indeed an excellent cook and then how to cook the yams.
Geri frequently tells me stories. He laughs so heartily when he gets to the punch line that I laugh with him even though I don’t understand the words. Having a friend, who doesn't speak the same language, is an adventure. When the person is someone as dear as Geri, it’s a lovely journey. Geri embodies old school Puerto Rico, the heart and soul of La Isla del Encanto. On a personal note he reminds me of the old school farmers my grandfather would take me to visit when I was incredibly young.
For years I’ve been afraid of retirement. Not having a schedule each day, or a to-do list left me feeling flaccid, wasted. All right, I’ll say it, “Useless.” What regimented thinking! I am learning to enjoy my day, especially a serendipitous moment like a neighbor dropping by unannounced with gifts.   
Enjoy your day, Tricia

No comments:

Post a Comment