Wednesday, May 15, 2013

New Amputee's First Hurtle


Quarter past five this morning, the sun lights up haystack looking hills along the northern coast; we’re on the road to San Juan. As drives go this isn’t a bad one until traffic screeches to a halt.  First post discharge doctor visit questions race in my head. Kirt tolerates the drive with a little help.
Unloading is easier when the entry attendants give a hand, but I can get the wheelchair out of the trunk fairly well myself. Kirt transfers easily. Giving him our gear and double checking that I haven’t forgotten anything we may possibly need takes the longest. Morning parking is a competitive event. With any luck a kind vet may lead me to the space he’s about to vacate. God bless our Veterans. They are the heart of the nation.
My husband can’t touch more than his coffee for breakfast in the canteen. Stress mingles with the discomfort from the drive. He takes another pain pill. By the time he sees the doctors, everything is wonderful. I’m happy to report that the doctors agree with him. The wound, which they debride is looking fine. Oh, happy day, Kirt hurtles the first post discharge appointment with rave reviews, yeah!
We request that he be taught how to use crutches, so he can do more than transfer and head home to Lago Guajataca. 

No comments:

Post a Comment