Monday, May 13, 2013

Home From the Hospital, Now What?


Home from the hospital post op below knee amputation with wound separated from the staples, in pain; now what do we do? I wish we had an answer.
Each day we start with medication. Thank you, God, for the chemists, who make lives tolerable, when they are not.  Meds, some days are the only answer, but it gets better.
Kirt gets bored, every five minutes he’ll call, “Can you give me some…. Can you get me some…. Would you get it for me, is my personal favorite. Before of course, Dear, becomes sarcastic we must have the talk about planning wants and needs. Don’t wait until I get back in bed to tell me you just filled the urinal. That’s not funny.
The muscle spasms Kirt had in the hospital continue with his knee popping back and forth. The stump leg looked like a giant crochette hook with him holding it writhing in pain. We found that holding the lower leg in a gentle traction help with the cramps plus his knee extension improved. On the dark side sometimes he had rebound cramps if I pulled too hard. Kirt asks to have his leg pulled, so I’m a leg puller with a reference. Today for the first time in a week he had cramps; not the hook screaming variety. Gracias a Dio.
Since our talk Kirt is getting exercise by doing more around the house. If I don’t make the coffee fast enough, he is set up with filter, grind, beans, etc. to make it for himself. He looked proud this morning, as he brought my first cup of coffee. Sweet.




No comments:

Post a Comment