Friday, June 4, 2010

Drive The North Coast

Thursday we went to San Juan to see my classmates from the Animal Control Course and pick up my badge.




On the trip home the expressway was crowded at two in the afternoon, wall to bumper traffic. We needed an adventure. In Barcoloneta we found the 681, this is the Puerto Rico we want to see miles of Atlantic coast line. Family love is the core strength of the island, so when we stopped for a beverage the first thing I found was a father teaching his sons about caring for their pet while teaching it to swim in the ocean.


 

I get shy about stopping places sometimes; that’s my head trip. One thing I’ve found is that this is a formal society, they greet each other. In the Midwest where we come from you state your business, get to the point. When I greet people with, “Buenos Dias.”, they know I’m not from around here. Most people respond to me in English. People are very friendly and most helpful.


When you get away from the tourist haunts, you will notice that this is not a rich island; don’t let the sometimes poorer dress or condition of cars give you concern. The wealth of the island is in the natural beauty and the soul of the people. We could not figure out how to get to the Arecibo light house. I asked a man in a tattered shirt which way, this delightful gentleman tried to explain in Spanish. He could see by the look on my face, I was not getting it. He waived follow me, hopped in his beat up old truck, a few miles later we were at the lighthouse. This is the rich heart of the island people.



One thing you can do to make them happy is to occasionally pull over to let the parade of cars behind you go about their business.






No comments:

Post a Comment