Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Trouble in Paradise

A few years ago we fell madly in love with this island. It was January. Snow was tumbling from the sky as we left Chicago. Oh, how beautiful Puerto Rico looked from the window as the jet floated towards a green oasis in the sea of blue.
On this trip I said, "Oh, my God!" or "Oh, my!" so many times that the term brain dead began to resonate it my ears.
Where we live in Illinois is beautiful farm country. The beauty of nature surrounds us. I thought I knew what beauty was.
Then my friend, Gloria gave us a tour of her island. It was like a masssive injection. I almost over dosed on beauty; don't smirk. The reaction to this beauty can be quite visceral. We see it in friends who visit us now.
The mothers of Puerto Rico are among the most loving in the world. Watch the mothers with their children, you will feel a surge of estrogen or is it progesteron? The strong maternal energy of the island was another draw for me.
A few years later I begin to think my love for the island was just a hot damn romance and the party is over. The things that bother me about the island, which is the services, bother the crap out of me.
Believe it or not I don't like to bitch, so the few posts are of the more wonderful things. Like everything, there's the good, the bad.
My whole neighborhood has not had water service for almost a year. Two months ago they hooked up the new line. It's been leaking at the top off the hill for three weeks. We came back to no water again.
My intention was to tell about the things I love here; maybe it's time to go out and find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment