Friday, April 12, 2013

Another Day at the VA San Juan


Last evening about 9 pm concerned nurses called the rehab doctors, who informed them that Kirt had been seen about 3 pm and antibiotics were ordered; get them started. I won’t bother to rag about lack of communication or that I was in the day room making a phone call for five minutes when they buzzed in and out. By this time Kirt had a low grade temperature and much more pain. This shift of nurses did a fine job of getting him settled down for what promised to be a better night.
About 2 am Mother Nature called. Kirt transferred from the bed to the wheel chair with a fair amount of skill. The physical therapy paid off already, well, not too much. He got stuck in the bathroom, so I had to call in the night nurses. When he yelled, “I’m getting out of here tomorrow,” I wanted to cry. Once back in bed he writhed in pain holding his leg above the amputation. One of the nurses told him to stop squeezing his leg, that he was making it all red.
Where the hell do you go with a stupid comment like that? She kept insisting that he was responsible for the inflammation in the stump below the knee. I should tell him to stop doing that. Sometimes there’s no point in arguing, so I told her I’d get on that right away.
Just a little sleep and we’d feel better, but that wasn’t to be Kirt ripped his IV out when he dozed off. There was blood all over the sheets, in his hair. He needed a bath and linen change.
With all of the pain and negative experiences it’s easy to over look the really great nurses and care that he is getting. I don’t want to do that because some of Kirt’s nurses have been tremendous; Ada, the kind and gentle, Felix the great, Eileen, the love have tended to him, when he was at the end of his rope. My darling’s recovery will be in no small part due to these wonderful and gracious nurses.
When he recovers all the difficulties forgotten, we’ll remember this time more kindly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment