Monday, March 25, 2013

Counting My Blessings Part II


[The doctor told me stem cell therapy is not available at the VA Hospital in Puerto Rico; maybe we’d need to go to Indiana. Ok, that’s a thought; would that we could.
After the conference with the vascular surgeon, I headed to my friend Adri’s house in nearby Pinones. Looking forward to a shower, visions of stem cell therapy danced in my head. Traffic in San Juan was heavy this time of day. I hit a pothole that went damn near to China. My car died on the expressway with traffic whizzing around me and beeping at me like I could dematerialize for them. Scared out of my wits, I called 911, “Hola, digame.” So many times I’ve wished my Spanish was better, but never more fervently, and then I didn’t know where the devil I was. They asked me for land marks. In a city with billboards everywhere, the best I could do was a sign or a little laminating company. I thought I was still on rt. 26, but no it was 22, or was it the other way around. The 911 operator comforted me, saying that the police would find me soon.
Danny from Escobar Towing, 787 530-3423, pulled up alongside, gave me a questioning look. Yes! Yes! We called 911 back to let them know I was safe and on my way. Danny’s friendly smile and easy way relaxed me just as soon as I was in the cab of his truck. Apparently that pot hole has been very good to him.   
The remainder of Friday afternoon I researched Dr. Michael Murphy, MD and Indiana University School of Medicine for contact information. By the end of the day we had application forms in hand. Monday the surgeons will take toes off and fill out Kirt’s application for stem cell therapy. It feels good to have a shot at saving his leg after the failed femoral bypass.
After all we’ve been through to leave the cold Midwest, Indiana here we come- maybe. So far it looks like Kirt meets the criteria for inclusion in the study. 

No comments:

Post a Comment