Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Best Buy On The Beach


Showing off the island to friends is great fun, last week we stayed in Patillas on the south east coast. My butt was planted in one of those blue lounge chairs. The surf sounds are amazingly relaxing.
We had to sit in the restaurant of the hotel to get wifi, so I watched people check in, on some faces I could really see the stress. A day or so later facial muscles relaxed, smiles errupted.

Each evening the tide brings in the most interesting things to pick up along the shore. A couple we met carried their treasures in a banana leaf, excellent improvisation. We used the bag our fins came in, the fins didn't see much activity. Barb was the brave soul snorkler.
Treks up the beach made me feel like the woman in the beer commercial, wind in my hair, using muscles that haven't had a wake up call in an age.
The antidote to too much exercise is to slow down and watch what is going on around you. Ghost crabs blend into the back ground when they freeze. All you see are their black eyes on stalks. I picked up a shell that had a hermit crab in it. We startled each other is a fair statement.
What to eat, where to eat is always the question. Some guys having pizza  on the beach gave me a piece. They said to go into town two blocks past the hospital on the right. It was worth the drive, thumbs up on the pizza.
Rosa, who has been with the Caribe Playa Beach Resort for four years, pointed at my husband and said, " I remember you." Then she covered her mouth while she laughed. She giggled every time he spoke to her, of course, he loved that. Rosa took excellent care of us.
The photo above is sunrise. At night we pulled the chairs to the ridge of rocks formed by the tide. Star gazing over the water is spectacular.
This is my kind of place: small & intimate and inexpensive.
Fresh seafood at local restaurants, but no one knows what vegetables are,  that's everywhere on the island.
We were wet noodle consistency when we left for the biobay in Vieques.

1 comment:

  1. looks amazing! With all this snow here in New York City, I'm ready for a beach trip ASAP.

    ReplyDelete